Former Ambassador of the Republic of Albania to the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and Ireland, (2012 – 2015)
Knight of Skanderbeg’s Order
Mal Berisha graduated from the Academy of Arts of Albania, in 1975. His life has been chiefly linked with the cultural life of his country and beyond, from 1975 to 1992. Later he graduated from Hacetepe University in Ankara, Turkey, and joined the diplomatic service of Albania as Consul and General Consul to Istanbul, 1992 – 1997.
He was an activist for Kosovo’s cause under the names of the Albanian-American Civic League (AACL) and Pan – Albanian Federation of America “VATRA,” in New York, USA, 1998 – 2000.
He joined the United Nations Mission in Kosova, UNMIK from 2000 to 2009.
Afterward, from 2009 to 2012 he led the Regional Department of the Albanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
From February 2012 until November 2015, he held the office of the Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Ambassador of the Republic of Albania to the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland, and Ireland, (2012 – 2015)
- He is a history scholar and a translator, as well as a television political analyst.
- His history books and studies already published include, among others:
- “Albanians, Oaks on the Illyrian Soil,” a full study of The National Geographic Magazine articles focusing on Albania and Albanians in over 100 years (2007) in Albanian.
- “Albanians, the Youngest and Most Ancient Europeans” (2008), in Albanian.
- “Charles Telford Erickson, The American who Dedicated his life to Albania,” in three volumes, (2012), in Albanian.
- “Herman Bernstein, U.S Ambassador to Albania 1930- 1933” (2014), in English and Albanian (2018).
- The Albanian – British Relations Reality (2015)
- The Ambassador of Soft Power (2021)
- He has translated and published the following books:
“Southern Albania or Northern Epirus in the European and International Affairs, from 1912 – 1923” written by Edith Pierpont Stickney.
“Rescue in Albania” written by Harvey Sarner.
“The Rise of Iskander” written by Benjamin Disraeli.
- He has written tens of articles about various subjects such as history, art, culture, language, critics of historical books, etc.
- He placed the bust of Albanian National Hero, George Kastrioti – Scanderbeg in London, on 28 November 2012, at the Lady Samuels Gardens, Bayswater, 113 Inverness Terrace, London W2 6JH.
- The other one was placed on 4 August 2013 at the Skanderbeg Square, in Munxhufuni (Montecilfone), in Molise Regione, Italy, a town populated by old Albanians (Arberesh).
- The bust of Charles Telford Erickson in front of the Agricultural School of Golemi which bears his name, on 20 September 2021.
- Mal Berisha has lectured in: YIVO Institute for Jewish Research in New York, US Embassy in London, British Embassy in Tirana, Geneva School of Diplomacy in Genève, Switzerland, Kennedy School of Government in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosova, Vienna Diplomatic Academy, Albanian National Museum, Tirana, “Nene Tereza” University in Skopje, Ivanaj Foundation – New York – Tirana, State University of Tirana, “Fan Noli” University in Korça, etc.
- Recently, he is involved in making a series of documentary films dedicated to Anglo – American Scholars who dedicated their studies to Albania and Albanians under the logo of A2 CNN Exclusive – Albania.
- He is married and the father of two sons, Erion and Kreshnik, and grandfather of Andra and Skai Berisha.
For more, please visit: